The 2018 Spring Meeting was held from 8th to 11th April at Aberystwyth University.
8th - 11th April 2018
The meeting included Ecological Parasitology, Veterinary Parasitology and the Tryp/Leish Symposium.
Session organisers included: Jo Cable, Iain Chalmers, Rachel Chalmers, Mark Field, Paul Horrocks, Lisa Reimer, Alvaro Acosta Serrano, Richard Wall, Shona Wilson. Local Organisers were: Justin Pachebat, Jo Hamilton, Russ Morphew & Karl Hoffmann.
The meeting featured a fantastic set of public engagement events in addition to the academic programme. This included (with all events open to the public):
- An opening talk on Sunday evening from Prof Peter Chiodini, Consultant Parasitologist at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Honorary Professor at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and Director of the Public Health England (PHE) Malaria Reference Laboratory and the PHE National Parasitology Reference Laboratory. Professor Chiodini organises the UK National External Quality Assessment Schemes for Parasitology, is a member of the Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens, the PHE Advisory Committee on Malaria Prevention in Travellers and advises the National Blood Service on the prevention of transfusion-transmitted parasitic infections.
- A 'Science Cafe' event on Monday evening
- A series of both family-friendly and parasitology-themed films shown in the University's cinema throughout the meeting.
Speakers in the academic programme included:
- Wendy Gibson, Bristol University
- Shahid Khan, Leiden UMC
- Susanne Kramer, Würzburg University
- Annette MacLeod, University of Glasgow
- Pascal Maser, Swiss TPH
- Raymond Pierce, Pasteur Institute
- Jesus Valenzuela, NIAID
- John Thuita, Kenya Agricultural Research Institute
- Alex Loukas, James Cook University
- Maria Yazdanbakhsh, Leiden UMC
- Jim Collins, UT Southwestern
- Ron Hokke, Leiden UMC
- Amy Buck, Edinburgh University
- Aaron Maule, Queen’s University Belfast
- Volker Heussler, Bern University
- Tim Yoshino, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Robert Poulin, Otago University
- George Dimopoulos, John Hopkins
- Grace Mulcahy, University College Dublin
- David Thieltges, Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
- Nigel Yarlett, PACE
- Domenico Otranto, Bari University
- Sarah Culloty, University College Cork
- Eric Morgan, Queen’s University Belfast
- Jane Hodgkinson, Liverpool University
- Mike Doenhoff, Nottingham University